Sciatica affects about 40 percent of Americans and can make simple tasks more difficult or uncomfortable. If you are suffering from symptoms of sciatica and are unsure of the best source of treatment, then contact Total Wellness Solutions in Sandy Springs, Ga, and work with the best team of chiropractic professionals. Chiropractic care centers around principles of noninvasive and holistic techniques that aim to target and heal the root cause of a problem as opposed to merely addressing the symptoms. If you are asking can chiropractic care help sciatica, then give us a call and we can help you experience the benefits.
What Is Sciatica
Sciatica is the term used to describe pain that radiates along the sciatic nerve. Symptoms of sciatica can vary widely between patients and are usually characterized as pain that can be felt anywhere along the sciatic nerve path. The Sciatic nerve path branches from the low back through the hips and down each leg. Some patients report symptoms of mild aching or a sharp burning, while others report electric shocks and excruciating pain. Some patients also report numbing, tingling, or muscle weakness in the leg or foot of the affected nerve.
Risk Factors For Sciatica
Sciatica is the result of injury, irritation, or compression of the sciatic nerve. Other risk factors that could lead to the development of sciatica include the following:
- Normal aging is accompanied by many changes in the body, and some such changes include the wearing of bone tissue and the disk in the spine. This puts the sciatic nerve at risk of being pinched or injured by the changes in the bone.
- Being overweight
- When you carry more weight in the front of your body, it forces the back muscles to counterbalance to maintain stability. This can result in back strains that can damage the sciatic nerve.
- Lack of core strength
- The top half of the body has the ribs for additional support, but the lower half relies only on muscle. The core, which is made up of the muscles in the back and abdomen, provides the only support for the lower back. A stronger core means more support, but a weaker core leads to a higher risk of injury to the sciatic nerve.
- Osteoarthritis, which is the degeneration of joint cartilage and bone, can cause damage to the spine and increase the risk of nerves being damaged.
- You are inactive
- Sitting for prolonged periods can also increase the risk of sciatica.
- Lack of proper lifting posture
- If you do a lot of lifting, but do not practice proper form, it can lead to a low back injury, which can increase the risk of developing sciatica.
- Work a labor-heavy job
- Working jobs that require constant heavy lifting, like movers, delivery drivers, or other such professions can lead to a low back injury.
Can Chiropractic Care Help Sciatica
When searching for a medical professional to treat sciatica, it is important to consider working with professionals that aim to treat your discomfort by doing more than simply prescribing medication to numb the pain. When you work with a chiropractor, they can provide hands-on manipulation techniques to specific areas of the spine to relieve discomfort and pressure off the sciatic nerve. Chiropractic care is a form of natural treatment that provides favorable outcomes. Many patients prefer chiropractic care to other forms of treatment because it is non-invasive and holistic.
Total Wellness Solutions
When you choose chiropractic care, you are selecting a natural and noninvasive approach to recovery. Chiropractic treatments are gentle, relaxing, and designed to remove interferences that burden the nervous system to allow for optimal neural communication.
Subluxations are often involved in nervous system interference, but sometimes tight and stiff muscles can also inhibit the body’s communication process. When you schedule a consultation at Total Wellness Solutions in Sandy Springs, Ga, you will be working with chiropractic professionals that also specialize in soft tissue therapy. They can combine their expertise in spinal health and soft tissue treatments to provide the best course of treatment for your condition.
In addition to the comprehensive knowledge of our chiropractors, you will also be exposed to some of the best massage therapists in Georgia. Massage therapy is a very effective form of treatment, and when combined with the guidance of a qualified chiropractic team, it becomes a strong tool for helping our patients see lasting results.
When you work with the Total Wellness Solution chiropractic team in Sandy Springs, Ga, you can expect to work with the best medical professionals available who will work tirelessly to diagnose and treat your condition. If you are still questioning can chiropractic care help sciatica, then give us a call at 770-936-9707 or make an appointment online. We are located at 5252 Roswell Rd NE Suite 103, Atlanta, GA 30342.