Can chiropractic Care Improve Breathing?
Most people have a pretty rigid set of reasons for why they would consult with a chiropractor, and breathing problems are usually not among them. However, chiropractic care can have major positive benefits on breathing, and regular maintenance care can help improve breathing health. If you are wondering how can chiropractic care improve breathing, then here are some reasons why you should consult with the chiropractic team at Total Wellness Solutions.
What Could Be Affecting Your Breathing
Conditions like Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Allergies, Asthma, and Bronchitis are categorized by decreased airflow, and the inability of the lungs to be able to take in enough oxygen. Working with a chiropractor from Total Wellness Solutions and receiving regular chest adjustment may be able to improve your chest expansion and flexibility over time, this will allow the lungs more room to expand and take in more oxygen.
Sometimes, however, the problem may not be the lung’s inability to fully expand, but the inability of them to sufficiently receive the message to take in more air. In such cases, patients may have difficulty breathing freely as a result of subluxations in the spine compressing the nerves that regulate the lungs. In this case, if the brain is sending signals for the lungs to increase its oxygen intake, but the nerves that regulate the lungs are compressed by subluxations, then the lungs will never receive the message. If the lungs never received the message, they will never increase their air intake, and the quality of your breathing will remain poor. Working with a chiropractor to correct subluxations will aim to correct this problem.
Ways to improve Breathing at Home
If you are looking for ways to improve the quality of your breathing, then the best thing you can do is book a consultation with a qualified chiropractor at Total Wellness Solutions, and get a full consultation and treatment. However, if you are looking for ways to improve breathing quality at home, then you can try some of the techniques below:
- Rib Stretch
- Stand with your hands over your hips, take a deep breath, hold in for a few seconds, and then exhale.
- This helps increase the flexibility of the ribs, and over time they can allow the lungs more room to expand.
- Diaphragmatic Breathing
- People tend to rely on the chest, ribs, upper back, neck, and shoulders to facilitate breathing, as opposed to the diaphragm.
- The diaphragm is the primary muscle that makes breathing more efficient.
- It’s important to strengthen the diaphragm and practice inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth to improve the efficiency of bringing oxygen into the lungs.
- Increasing your activity level
- Be more active and strengthen the muscles involved in breathing
- Participate in biking, swimming, running, or any activity that engages your lungs
- Pursed-Lip Breathing
- This is when you take twice as long to exhale as it took for you to inhale.
- This is helpful because inflamed airways may prevent air from circulating through the lungs, which results in stale air being trapped in the lungs for too long. This prevents fresh air from entering.
- The longer exhales are designed to give stale air more time to leave the lungs.
Chiropractic Treatments for Improving Breathing
At Total Wellness Solutions, we work closely with all our patients to help them better understand how their habits and lifestyle may be affecting their breathing. We also show them how chiropractic care can improve their breathing health with drug-free non-invasive methods. There are a variety of treatment options available to improve breathing and they all depend on the patient’s health and the information obtained from their initial consultation.
At Total Wellness Solutions, we follow the zone technique and will treat breathing issues based on zone two, and how it is being affected. The zone technique states that every problem in the body originates from a “circuit issue”, where the brain is unable to effectively communicate with specific areas of the body. The chiropractors at Total Wellness Solution attempt to correct this miscommunication by adjusting or manipulating specific areas in the spine to improve the network connection.
Chiropractic care has been shown to improve breathing health through spinal manipulation and other drug-free non-invasive methods. Spinal manipulation can realign the spine and allow affected systems to function properly. Sometimes subluxations can constrict nerves that regulate important organ functions. For example, the lungs can be negatively affected if the nerves that regulate them are unable to effectively transmit information due to pressure from the spine. Spinal manipulation can help relieve the pressure off the nerve so it can properly regulate organ function, and thus improve breathing.
Hopefully, you now have a better idea of how chiropractic care can improve your breathing, and how the chiropractors at Total Wellness Solutions can better help you understand and manage your wellness. If you are still wondering can chiropractic care improve breathing, then give us a call at 770-936-9707 or book a consultation, and we would be happy to explain in further detail.