How To Correct Poor Posture
When it comes to your wellness, you may immediately consider your physical health, and recently we, as a society, have begun considering the importance of mental health. However, It is extremely important to remember that health is a combination of many facets perfectly blending into one, and that also includes postural health. We can easily spot the coworker who slouches over their desk, the teen with their neck craned over the cell phone, or maybe the way you’re sitting right now. If you have bad posture, you’re probably aware of it, but are you aware of how much pain it may be causing you. If you’re wondering how to correct poor posture then the chiropractic team at Total Wellness Solutions in Sandy Springs GA can help.
What Contributes to Poor Posture
Poor posture can seem like a minor inconvenience or a second thought. However, it can go far beyond remembering to sit up straight, especially when done habitually. Your posture is the best way your body should be orientated to promote efficiency, and when it’s shifted, even slightly, it can result in chronic pain. Some factors that can contribute to poor posture are:
- Constant slouching and rounding of the shoulders
- Carrying heavy bags and backpacks
- Lifting heavy objects at work
- Incorrect sleeping position
- Sitting with a wallet or other object in the back pocket
How Chiropractic Care Can Correct Poor Posture
Correcting bad posture can be a process and may require more effort than you are able to provide. This can be especially true if the posture is the result of an illness or injury. Working with a knowledgeable and trained chiropractic team can help you improve posture and reduce pain in the most permanent way possible.
- Receiving a chiropractic adjustment can help improve and correct poor posture.
- The chiropractor will adjust the spine and guide the vertebrate back to its correct position.
- If this is your first adjustment or your first adjustment in a long time, you might not be able to hold the position for long. You might also receive additional adjustments on future visits. The chiropractor will explain in more detail when discussing your treatment plan.
- Relaxing the Muscles
- After receiving an adjustment, the muscles will need to be relaxed or they will continue to pull the spine out of alignment.
- A few important and useful treatments for relaxing the muscles and allowing the posture to return to normal are massage therapy, dry needling, or other various forms of non-invasive drug-free treatments. The muscles must relax, or they will continue to pull on the spine and undo the goal of the adjustment.
- Correcting the Habit
- The chiropractor will provide you with some tips and behavioral changes so you can practice and improve your posture to positively impact your healing process.
- Consistently practicing better posture habits is necessary for correcting the problem and preventing it from worsening or returning after treatment.
- Stretching and strengthening the Muscle
- It is important to keep the muscles healthy and strong so they are able to adequately support and maintain your posture. Stronger muscles mean better support.
- To do this you must create a workout routine, and stay consistent. The routine does not have to be very rigorous, but it is important that you keep the muscles healthy, strong, and active.
Chiropractic Care at Total Wellness Solutions
At Total Wellness Solutions, our team takes a holistic approach towards health and wellness. We attempt to first understand what habits or lifestyle choices are contributing to your posture, so we can design a treatment plan to fit your specific needs. Our goal is to eliminate pain by focusing on the muscles, spine, and joint as necessary. Poor posture can cause intense and chronic discomfort, which can last indefinitely if the main issue is never addressed. When you work with our chiropractic team, we go beyond simply suppressing the symptoms to provide temporary relief, and instead heal the problem so the symptoms do not return.
Every day we make choices that result in consequences to our future selves. Some people proactively strive to create healthy habits, while others try not to think about it. Whatever category you fit into, you should always be aware of how to correct poor posture because this is how you avoid chronic pain. Working with the chiropractic team at Total Wellness Solutions is a great place to start if you want to see lasting change. Give us a call at (770) 936-9707 with any questions or make an appointment online. We are located at 5252 Roswell Rd NE Suite 103, Atlanta, GA 30342.